Sunday, November 2, 2008

Cosumnes River Preserve

Today I got to do something I haven't done for a while. Jake and I, went to one of my favorite place to go bird watching, the Cosumnes River Wildlife Preserve.




It rained the last 2 days (Thank God! We need it!) and today was overcast, but off we went just to get out of the house. We spent a good 3 hours walking around and saw quite a few different birds. The sand hill cranes have just returned for the winter, and are always cool to see. Any bird that stands 5 feet tall and hes a 7 foot wingspan is an impressive site.






I apologize, some of the pictures are kind of dark.

Like I said, we saw a ton of birds today. Our list of birds for today includes the following:
1. Sand hill Cranes
2. Black Phoebe
3. Red Winged Black Bird
4. Tri-Colored Black Bird
5. Brewers Black Bird
6. Savannah Sparrow
7. Northern Shoveler
8. Mallard Duck
9. Black-Necked Stilt
1o. Great Egret
11. Northern Flicker
12. Anna's Humming Bird
13. Meadowlark
14. Northern Harrier
15. Red Tail Hawk
16. American Kestrel
17. White-Tail Kite
18. Scrub Jay
19. Oregon Junco
20. Mocking Bird
21. Canadian Geese
22. Greater White Fronted Geese
23. Pied Billed Grebe


Here are some of the photos we got:

Anna's Humming Bird


American Kestrel - Jake


Great Egret - Jake took this one


Savannah Sparrow - Jake - really nice job!


Black Necked Stilt


Pied Billed Grebe


Northern Flicker


Northern Harrier


Swainsons Hawk?

Northern Shoveler


Male Red Winged Black Bird


Female Red Winged Black Bird


Kite



Jake my photo assistant



Overall a great day - just me and the boy. Abbey stayed home with mom. She's got my cold.


Yesterday I started working on an 1920's East lake rocking chair that I've had for a while. Johnny's Grandma gave it to us. It was brought out from Wisconsin a long time ago. I had to completely disassemble it and make a new piece. Now I'm gluing it back together. Can't find the pictures of when I first got it. Too bad. It's going to need some paint and new upholstery. I hope to have it done soon. Then it will go over to the Tattered House.


Have a great week!

TVH

1 comment:

Two Tall Girls said...

What a fantastic outing. I'm so glad you shared, I'll certainly be taking a trip there.

Pages